Friday, January 15, 2010

Hand in Hand

I have this book, Bless This Mess & Other Prayers by Jo Carr and Imogene Sorley. It was pulbished in 1969, and I happened upon it lying on the 25 cent table at a used bookstore. One prayer in it gets me every time (though they are certainly all good). I wanted to share it with you all.

Dear Lord,

what sort of people am I teaching my children to be?

If I criticize them constantly, they will become critical.

If I undermine their worth-ness, they will become unworthy.

If I am impatient, I teach impatience.

Much of what they will become

is my doing...

or my undoing.

And I don't think of this, Lord.

I just try to blunder through today -

meeting today's deadlines,

tending to at least a portion of today's chores.

I'm not so much raising them

as just puttering about while they grow up.

And what an irretrievable waste of opportunity this is.

Lord, you know what I'd like them to be -

worthy adults,

real people

whose hands will bless, whose words will bless,

whose lives will bless those around them.

I want them to be the kind of people

who are at home in the universe.

Ah, so.

One hand in theirs, Lord,

the other in thine -

this is the only way I can lead them.

Amen.


"One hand in theirs, Lord,

the other in thine -

this is the only way

I can lead them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...