Thursday, January 14, 2010

Just 10 More Minutes

Remember those days as a child when your mother would practically have to drag you out of bed, while you pleaded for "just 10 more minutes" of sleep?

How much harder it is now that we are the moms, with no one but ourselves to force us up out of bed in the morning. Personally, I don't want an extra 10 minutes these days, I want an extra hour or two! Sometimes it truly feels as though my head has just hit the pillow in sleep and it is time to get up...again.

One thing I have realized is that being a stay-at-home mom, housewife, keeper of the home, whatever you want to call it, makes it that much harder sometimes to drag yourself out of the bed. Sometimes you may think, "Why bother? It's just another day, exactly identical to yesterday, exactly the same as tomorrow will be, why even get up?"

The mundanity of it all can be overwhelming sometimes. Some days you feel like you've worn yourself completely out, and for what? Other days you feel like you've gotten absolutely nothing worthwhile accomplished.



I once had a Mary Engelbreit calendar with the words "Life Is Just So Daily." Truer words were never spoken, and no one realizes the truth of them more than the housewife!

You wash the dishes, they get dirtied up again. You wash the laundry, it gets dirtied up again.

You sweep the floor, and the kids drop more crumbs. Everything you do has to be done over...and over....and over again.

What's a girl to do with all this sameness, day after day after day? Sometimes it can be downright depressing!

Galatians 6:9 says:
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

I find it helps to look at things from an eternal perspective, or even from a lifelong perspective. I try to envision myself when I'm old and wrinkled, with grandkids and great-grandkids of my own, and think about what kind of woman I want to be then, and what kind of life I want to have lived.

I want to be happy but humble (and what makes you more humble than daily floor moppings?), wise in the ways of keeping my home (which only years of day-in, day-out living can do). I want to be able to be an inspiration to "the younger women" (see Titus 2!).

I want my children to rise up and call me blessed, and wonder how any woman could ever expect that from children who had to grow up in dirt and filth.

Don't get me wrong, there are a thousand things more important than a clean house. I have no problem leaving off cleaning to see or hear about something exciting that one of my kids have discovered, or to just indulge in a little snuggle time with them on the couch. But sometimes it's hard to get the inspiration to start the cleaning in the first place!

This is when I try to always keep in mind that verse from Galatians 6. In keeping the home for my husband and children, I am doing something good, something pleasing both to them and, more importantly, to God. The Scripture is the inspired word of God, and if He promises to me a fruitful harvest for my good works, then I know He will follow through on that promise.

So, I'll get out of bed for yet another day, mop up another mess, wash another sink full of dishes, wipe another runny nose, break up another sibling squabble, and meet my darling husband at the door with a smile.

3 comments:

  1. This blog is just what I needed right now! I was just complaining about this very thing the other day, how sometimes it feels like everything you do is kina pointless because you just end up having to do it again...thank you so much for giving me a different way of looking at things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is it comforting to know that other mothers feel like I do, it is encouraging to know that God knew we would feel this way and therefore provided us with Scripture that we can lean on and grow from. Thank you for giving something with so little meaning to some, so much meaning to women like me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the insight and encouragment on your blog. It has been inspirational as well and comforting knowing that there are other woman out there who have the same believes. Thank you so much and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...