Tuesday, February 23, 2010

He's All Boy

Although I didn't have an ultrasound with my first baby, I just knew it was a girl.

I did have an ultrasound with the second one, and sure enough...another girl.

When I was pregnant the third time, I went in for an ultrasound. All was going along just fine until the ultrasound tech said,

"And there's the testicles."

I just about fell off the table.

There's the WHAT?? Um, I don't know what to do with those!

LOL

Well, six years later, I'm starting to figure out this little boy I have--at least a little.

You see, I went to school for Child Development. They try to teach you that there is no difference between boys and girls as far as attitude, characteristics, natural instinct and interest.

I actually believed it, too.

I know, I know, anyone out there with little boys is laughing their heads off right now.

So this little boy came along. My Jake. My little Love-Monkey.

I started noticing pretty early on that he was...well, different, from his sisters (aside from the obvious, LOL). For one thing, he loved to be babied. He loved to be held, rocked, bounced, sung to. The girls were both "put me down and let me do what I want" from a very young age. Not Jake, though. He learned to walk earlier but to talk later. He was a year old before he uttered his first word. I was about to have a nervous breakdown thinking something was wrong with him...and then, at 18 months, when I counted up his vocabulary (something I had done with the girls, and they had measured in at 171 understandable--meaning complete strangers could easily understand what they were saying--words for Katy and 196 for Becca), he came in at a low, low 118. I was distressed. What was wrong with this kid? Only 118 words at 18 months? Where had I gone wrong?

LOL, I know, looking back now, I have to laugh at myself, too. Not only was this difference between Jake and his sisters totally normal, but he was certainly still above average for his age anyway! But I'm like that, it worries me when my kids aren't where I think they should be!

By two-and-a-half he had caught up to his sisters in language development, and by four years old he had surpassed what they had ever come close to understanding as far as mathematics. He's still our little math whiz.

I gritted my teeth and kept my mouth shut when he didn't learn to read books on his own until after his fifth birthday (the girls, of course, had learned before that) and I still have to bite my tongue as I look at his handwriting.

But you know what, I have come to realize that he is just such a boy. He'd much rather be running and jumping than sitting still doing...well, anything. He's so smart when it comes to math and science. I have discovered that letting him bounce up and down while I'm reading out loud actually helps him process and retain what I'm reading. I've discovered that letting him dictate stories while I write them down has shown great imagination on his part. I've discovered that working in short bursts and then having down time (which is sometimes more like "up and all over the place" time) in between really helps him.

He is far more aggressive than his sisters ever were (I know, a big "duh" from all moms of little boys out there), but at the same time, he tries to be "gentlemanly" by opening doors, getting up to give girls a place to sit, and bringing blankets to me and my mom if we're cold!

He loves anything that's loud or fast.

In fact, as I sat here typing this, he sat next to me and read the line about "they tried to teach you there is no difference between boys and girls" and he said:

"No difference?!? But, girls like stuff like princesses and ponies, and boys like stuff like fighting and dragons!"





His newest thing is his BB gun. He bought it himself with his money he got from the tax return. It said 10 and up on the box so I wasn't quite sure about it. Tony assured me he'd be fine (Tony having many fond memories of BB gun shooting as a kid himself). The first time he went out to shoot (with Tony's supervision, of course!), he managed to hit the target 8 times out of 20 from about 30 feet away. I thought that was awesome for such a little bitty guy on his first time out! He was sooo excited. Now he's determined to get better and better so he can go hunting with his Papa!

You know what, boys and girls really are different! (DUH!!)

I love my little guy. I love it that he's such a boy, even if I don't always understand him. I love that his daddy gets to take him out and do guy stuff with him.

There are a couple of classes at the upcoming Eastern Oklahoma Homeschool Convention that I am very interested in:

Raising Dangerous Sons in a Safe and Mediocre World

and

Teaching Boys and Other Children Who Would Rather Make Forts All Day

I'm thinking those two sound like classes I could really get something out of!

I love my little man!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! I too was under the same impression about boys and girls, and I too learned quickly that boys are soooo different right off the bat! God's design is awesome and wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...