Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nine Years

Today marks the ninth anniversary of our wedding. At eight o'clock in the evening, on Friday, March 23, 2001, at Woodland Acres Baptist Church in Tulsa, OK, we were married. We had known each other for six months, been engaged for three.




March 2001



At the time, I knew there were people who were skeptical. We were "so young" after all--I was 19 and he turned 21 four days before the wedding--and we hadn't really known each other "all that long."

I found comfort in the stories of Tony's grandparents and of a few older couples in our church--stories of couples who had only known each other a few months, even only a few weeks, before getting married, and were now still together decades later.

The wedding was beautiful, all yellow and white roses and classical music. I never did get a bite of my own wedding cake. Well, I take that back, I got the bite Tony fed to me in front of the cameras :o). But other than that, I spent the entire time "mingling" and missed out on the cake. Oh, well.

Over time, I've come to realize that we are something of a quirky couple. We have so much fun doing the dumbest things. We'd just as soon spend an evening curled up together in bed watching something on Netflix as getting dressed up and going out (not to mention that it's cheaper!).

Not to go into too much detail, but we laugh more during...ahem...certain things...than I think is normal. I don't know, maybe it is normal, but it's certainly not a part of the process you ever hear about! We just enjoy each other so much, enjoy being together, no matter what we're doing. We've had fun stuck in the rain, stranded with a dead car battery, walking in the park, out for a fancy dinner, playing MarioKart, watching TV, reading together, going to Bible study, you name it, if we're together, we're enjoying it.

Last week at our Bible study, as the prayer began and Tony grabbed my hand, it made me think. We've always held hands during prayer, I guess it started before we were even married (we did meet at church, after all). But if prayer is going on and we are at all within reach of each other, we hold hands. I like the picture this paints. We come before God as one, not a man and a woman, but a husband/wife team, a union, we come before Him "as one."


"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one."
~Mark 10:6-8



I like that thought, that we come before God as one. I like the thought that we are one. We are certainly at that point where we finish each other's sentences, say things at the exact same time, and half the time don't even have to fully voice a thought for the other to know what we mean.


It may sound strange (or then again, maybe not, considering the main audience of this blog), but the place I feel most totally connected, enamored, enthralled, and completely in love with Tony is when we're at church. There is something so deeply touching about being with him in that holy place, coming before God once again. And I love to see him working in the church. It is, to put it nicely, very attractive to me, if you know what I mean.


Tony is the best husband a gal could ask for (I know, all you ladies are thinking you've got the best husband around, but it's my blog, so on here he's the best, LOL). I do not know how I would make it through life without him. He is my rock, he keeps me sane, and through him I have learned to take life in stride, to laugh, and most importantly, to laugh at myself and not take everything so seriously or so personally.


I feel so absolutely safe with him, and about him. I have never once in my life worried about him so much as looking lustfully at another woman, much less worried about him cheating. I have never worried about him walking out on me, or about him being a bad father. I have never felt in need of anything, because I've always felt secure in his provision (along with God, of course!). I was thinking this past weekend as we drove through the blinding horizontal snow that I've never even felt unsafe with him driving!


He is the glue that holds me together. I can't imagine life without him. In some ways, nine years seems like so long, like it can't have possibly been that long already. We still act like newlyweds half the time! I guess time flies when you're having fun, huh? Then in other ways, it seems like "only nine years?" because I really can barely even remember life before him, life without him.


Out of the blue the other day, he said, "We should get started on those rocking chairs." I knew exactly what he meant--don't we all have some version of this dream? The two old people sitting together in their rocking chairs on the front porch, still in love and happy just to be together as the world goes by?


Well, nine years down, eternity to go. I can't wait.





October 2009

4 comments:

  1. Awww...Happy Anniversary...also you're not the only ones to laugh during, as my cousin puts it, "grown up time". :)Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it. I knew I forgot something today. [=^)

    It's been nine years of ups, downs, lefts and rights, and I don't even like roller coasters, but this one has definitely been a fun ride and well worth it. I couldn't even begin to imagine what the last 9 years would have been like without you dear. It's definitely been more of a blessing than I ever could have dreamed of, and I don't know what I did to deserve it.

    Oh, and you'll be losing at Mario Kart the next time we play. [=^)

    I love you very much Heather Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary you two! May God continue to bless you and your marriage and give you many many more happy, glorious years together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a very Happy Anniversary along with continued marital bliss!!! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...