Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Simple Life

I was watching The Fellowship of the Ring this afternoon, and was, as always, struck by the words of Bilbo Baggins as he is writing "concerning hobbits."


But where our hearts truly lie is
in peace and quiet and good tilled earth.
For all Hobbits share a love
of all things that grow.
And yes, no doubt to others,
our ways seem quaint.
But today of all days,
it is brought home to me
it is no bad thing to celebrate
a simple life.



I could have been a Hobbit, there's no doubt about it. Because the things I love in live really are things like peace and quiet and good tilled earth. I love children's laughter and the feel of grass on my bare feet. I think fresh-grown things are the most beautiful things on earth. I prefer life simple, all of our needs met and a few of our wants, faith in God and the love of a good man, children grown up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. A little home to call our own, and flowers blooming all around. I really can't think of anything that would make me happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...