Monday, July 26, 2010

First Day of School 2010-2011

We had our first day of school today. I guess I must be a real true homeschool veteran at this point because I was not nervous or anxious at all. I was just looking forward to having something to do to fill up our day, and to seeing my children immersed in learning.

ready to start the first day

We got everything on our task board finished except a couple of things by lunchtime. We went out to lunch with my dad and then the kids begged him to drive us up below the dam at Keystone Lake. We drove out and ended up spending about an hour and a half there. We kicked off our shoes, waded in the lake, felt the sand between our toes, examined the algae, found some feathers, watched the storks and pelicans, searched for pretty pebbles, and Jake decided to wade out as far as he could and then SIT in the lake. He was soaked from the neck down.

We got home around 2:30 and finished up our schoolwork just after three.

It wasn't until after dinner, when I finally got a few moments to myself alone in my room, that it hit me. Tears actually came to my eyes as I realized just how much I had missed "doing school" with my kids. Sitting with them and discussing important things, thoughts and ideas. Hearing them ask deep questions and think through things on their own. Just being with them, sharing the time. I have missed it so much over the past year, with all the extra kids here. I've missed enjoying my own kids. I'm so glad to be able to do it again, and I thank God for the opportunity.


2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about homeschooling. What a gift we have to be able to watch and enjoy our children as they grow. I love seeing their brains work as they search or find the answer they are looking for. It is just as special as first steps to me. Glad you all had a wonderful first day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As homeschool parents, we have such incredible opportunities with our children. I absolutely love being with my daughter and listening to what she thinks about things. A lot of people forget that we are raising the next generation of scientists, politicians etc. We are holding the key to both our and their future. Good luck with the school year!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...