Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hand Over Mouth

Perhaps I should put it on every piece of writing I ever post, anywhere:

WARNING
Tends to become snarky when irritated

It is a struggle for me to keep my mouth shut. I've been working on this particular little imperfection for years. I've gotten to the point where I have learned to just roll my eyes and move on when I hear people say things I don't agree with.

The thing that gets me these days is when I'm going along, minding my own business, and suddenly BOOM! someone decides to slam me for something I've said or done in complete innocence like they think I'm some horrible person or something. I don't like being told off out of the blue (especially by people I don't even know in real life) for something I've done that I absolutely did not intend to be offensive in any way.

This is when the snark shark comes out. As a writer, you may have guessed that I put a lot of thought into my words. I choose carefully from my arsenal to make them as dangerous and deadly as possible. Should you incur the snarky wrath of a diatribe from me, stand back, because that is one avalanche you don't want to be in the path of.

That said, it's wrong! I know, I know, it's wrong. It's all over the Bible.

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.
~Proverbs 10:19

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
~Proverbs 12:18

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.
~James 1:26

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For,
"Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.
He must turn from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.
~1 Peter 3:9-11

So.....God, help me out here!
You should all be very proud of me today. I kept my mouth shut for the most part. And the part where I opened it, I deleted before anyone could catch wind of it. I'm gonna hang with David on this one, with God's help:



I said, "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."
~Psalm 39:1

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad I'm not the only one. Enjoying your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that blog post that was all of a sudden not there... lol! It's tough learning to bite the tongue and take all thoughts captive, but well worth it, thats for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandy - I didn't get rid of the blog post altogether. It's saved as a draft. I may publish it later when it won't seem like it's directed at anyone in particular. Or maybe not. I don't know. But I felt bad about the trouble I might cause about five minutes after posting. Darn guilty conscience. LOL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...