Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Of Diapers, Math Books, and Abstract Art

Well, a lot has happened since I last posted here! Very early on the morning of September 12, I gave birth to our son, Andrew Ian, weighing in at 9 lbs 1 oz and measuring 20 1/2 inches long. Once we got past a few problems with low blood sugar and Andrew being hooked up to an IV for nearly 36 hours, we got to come home and have been enjoying life with our newest little one!


Andrew's 1 month check-up was last week and he had gained 2 lbs, 5 oz since birth for a total weight of 11 lbs, 6 oz! He is chubbo and he eats A LOT!!!! He is a sweet tempered little guy who hardly ever cries and is easily soothed. He is a snuggler for sure.

Now that we're past the first month, he is really starting to pay attention to people and things around him. Just a few days ago he discovered the mobile hanging above his bassinet and he loves to look at it.



He also loves to look at the quilt hanging on the wall over his bed (bold, contrasting colors!). He is definitely a morning person. Not that he gets up super early (usually between 8-8:30 actually) but he is perfectly happy and content all morning long. It is the best time to give him things to look at and try out tummy time. Speaking of tummy time, he's not particularly fond of it yet but he can lift his head enough to turn it from side to side! Once a couple of days ago he nearly flipped himself over - surprised himself, too!

He isn't smiling at us yet but he is so close! One corner of his mouth will turn up just a little. He's a very serious little guy. Everyone always comments on how good he is, and while I agree, he is very EASY, I hate to say a baby is good because that implies that a baby can be bad, which of course they aren't!

He sleeps fairly well at night these days, going three or four hours between waking up to eat and going right back to sleep. Of course, he doesn't sleep much during the day! A typical day has him waking up around 8:30 and being awake til about 3:30 in the afternoon, except for maybe a couple of 10 minute cat naps! Once he goes to sleep he naps for an hour and a half or two hours and then is up just in time for dinner (I haven't eaten hot food in a while, LOL) and stays up til somewhere between 9:30 and 10 pm.

Last week we started back to school after our baby break and things have gone smoothly (so far, anyway). The older kids are all pretty good at self-starting and working through most of their assignments on their own with little help from me. We do our schoolwork in the mornings so we get a lot done while Andrew is in his good mood part of the day. I hold him on my lap while I do read alouds for science or history and he nearly always nods off while I'm reading. Of course, a few minutes after I'm finished, he's awake again!

Becca has surprised me this past week by doing really well on her math. She's been finding greatest and least common factors and using them to reduce fractions. Jake has done equally well on his math, solving pre-algebraic equations (seriously, did we do this same stuff in the 3rd grade?).

In fact, the kids have been getting through all their work so easily and quickly that I joked with them that I was going to have to start assigning them more work!

One really cool thing we did last week was to talk about abstract art. Our American artist to study for the week was Hans Hofmann. You can read about him and see some of his work here. On Wednesday (when Tony was home to help!) we make our own abstract art Hofmann style.


Our finished pieces looked really amazing:

That's Katy's on the left, and on the right Becca's is on top and Jake's is on the bottom. Andrew hasn't gotten to paint yet :)

This week has been less than stellar, as Becca was sick with a cold over the weekend, then Jake got it, then I got it, and then...yep, even the baby got it. Hard as I tried to keep all germs away from him, he's got a stuffy nose and is fussy. My forty third attempt to get him to nap today just proved ineffective, and it's 4:45 in the afternoon. I don't feel good, he doesn't feel good, we'll all be glad when Daddy gets home!

But, sickness aside, I am loving life with a new little blessing. I look forward very much to seeing him grow and learn, and of course I love all my big kids as well!


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to find you! My blog is imperfect people in love wit a perfect god. I think we have a lot in common! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...