Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Favorite Book

I wanted to share with you all about my favorite book...
of the Bible!

Our pastor preached from this book last Sunday and I was reading through it, thinking how much I love it.  It is amazing how four short chapters can hold so many thought-provoking insights.

Philippians.
I call it the "keep me in line" book.
Within it, I have nine separate passages highlighted in my Bible.  All are things I have to remind myself of on a regular basis as I strive to live the way God would have me to.



Here are the passages (all from the NIV):

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God."
~Philippians 1:9-11

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ."
~Philippians 1:27

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."
~Philippians 2:3

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe..."
~Philippians 2:14-15

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
~Philippians 3:13b-14

"Let your gentleness be evident to all."
~Philippians 4:5a

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
~Philippians 4:6-7

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."
~Philippians 4:8

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
~Philippians 4:11b-13

Can you believe it?  All that in one little book of the Bible?  Whew!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...