Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe: Gingerbread Cookies--No Molasses!

I discovered late in life that I liked gingerbread. My mom doesn't like it so she never made it when I was growing up. Once I was grown, I decided to just try it once and see what I thought - I loved it. However, gingerbread is definitely one of those tastes that you either love or hate, and I found that my kids did NOT like it. They tried to explain to me what it was they didn't like, and though they couldn't find the right words, I knew what they meant: too much molasses flavor. But you can't make gingerbread cookies without molasses can you?

Oh, yes you can!

I found this recipe that substitutes butterscotch pudding mix for the molasses about 4 or 5 years ago and now even my kids love gingerbread cookies! We usually cut ours into the shape of angels instead of the traditional gingerbread boy shape. The first time I made these, I couldn't find my gingerbread boy cookie cutter and so used the angel one, and then it became it's own tradition!



Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies
makes 18-24 cookies, depending on size of your cookie cutter


Ingredients:

2 small box butterscotch pudding mix (cook & serve)
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 egg
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
decorations or icing

Preheat oven to 350°. Cream pudding mix, butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat egg in. Add dry ingredients and mix until blended. Roll out on floured board and cut with cookie cutters. Add candy buttons, cinnamon candy hearts or other decorations as desired.

Bake for approximately 10 minutes and cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Cookies may then be decorated with icing as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...